Tuesday, January 6, 2009

hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go... (begrudgingly)

I have never been one to wish away the present, but I am ready for today to be over. I had to leave Grace with her Nana this morning to come to work, and I am a mess. I have cried three times in the last two hours (once was to the postman. All he said was, "haven't seen you in awhile!" Well that's because I'm spoiled and spend my days with my baby mr. postman!) I had to work the last two Saturdays, but I brought her with me in the morning and Dan came and picked her up about 3 so it wasn't too bad. Today I am training a new girl so I need the time without the distraction of her sitting on the counter in her bumbo seat looking like a little angel and forcing me to get absolutely nothing done. Why is this so hard? You would think I would need a break- it's been 8 weeks, but I feel like part of me is missing. And I love my store. I really do. I even called it my baby for the last two years, but my heart is changing and my priorities no longer revolve around me living up here at the store. How can they when I am leaving this sweet face to come to work??


I am lucky that Grace is in such good care with her nana. And I am very lucky that I have the freedom to bring her with me to the store when I need to. Right now, I only have to leave her on Tuesdays until 3. My hat is off to all of my friends who work 8 to 5. I don't know how you do it. I am stressed about leaving her for half a day once a week. I have decided that it doesn't matter how long you leave your baby or who you leave them with, it is unnatural for a mother to be away from her baby. I hope this gets easier or everyone will quickly tire of my sad-tuesdays-away-from-grace-blogs.

9 comments:

jesarbo said...

ok now in the second picture she looks like you.

kristen lewis said...

Being a mommy is learning to live with your heart on the outside. Gut wrenching, no? I hope that it gets easier. Know that I was a teary mess right along with you.

Holly said...

Speaking from experience, it doesn't get easier. I was fortunate to get to stay home 12 weeks, but now I am back at school. I still cry in the mornings when I have to leave him. I will be thinking of ya!

Matt and Rebekah said...

Oh, man....I wish there was something that I could say to make you feel better. However, seeing the other postings, we're all in the same mommy boat. After 2 1/2 years I can say that it's a little easier; but when I came back from a lengthy 4 days off at Christmas, I had road rage trying to pick up McClendon on Monday. Not sure how I'm even going to be pulled away from the house with two kids! Guess you'll be reading my sad blog days then. Hang in there.

Libby said...

Hey Ashley...I've been reading your blog, hope you don't mind:) I have much respect for you in being able to leave for one day a week, I know it's hard, and I my hat is off to those that have to do it for longer as well. You've got a cutie! Take care and enjoy the time you have with her...

Jennifer-Colley said...

I am right there with you! It is soo hard leaving, but I know that it makes me cherish the time after work that I do have with little Camren! Lets get together real soon! I have got to meet Miss Grace! Praying for you!

Mike and Emily said...

She is beautiful!! And, i had to go back to work too. I had a good friend tell me that BE at work when i'm at work and BE at home when i'm at home. That seemed to help a little. But, I feel your pain.

Kristen said...

Oh friend. I feel your pain. I have walked in your shoes. I cried and cried the first time I left Mr. H. I cried every morning for about 3 months. Even when we love our job, our heart is no longer our own, but belongs to a beautiful tiny person. Call me if you need a shoulder to cry on. I may just cry with you! :)

Mike and Emily said...

Well, Bella doesn't always like it at all!! But, I lay down in front of her and talk and laugh and say "yay for tummy time" and other make-a-fool-out-of-myself mommy moments. Sometimes that takes her mind off of not liking tummy time and then she's ok. Other times, I prop her up on my shoulder (like I am burping her) and let her get in her work out then. Grace is beautiful!! Your baby is going to have one of those great tanned skin tones...while our baby will be pale...thanks to her red headed daddy and blonde, pasty mommy. ha!