Saturday, May 2, 2009

Sitting up and DaDa


I suppose all I need to do to make Grace master her next milestone is blog about how she hasn't done it yet. Right after I wrote about her taking her sweet time to roll over, she did it. And last week when I posted that she wasn't sitting up on her own yet, she did it. Saturday (April 25th) Grace sat up on her own for a good 20 seconds. All week the times have been getting progressively longer and she is pretty stable now if you sit her on the floor and let her do her thing. Little pumpkin.
And last night, she decided she was going to start talking. I'm not surprised. The munchkin does nothing but listen to me sing and talk and read to her all day. She has been trying to imitate our mouth movements all week and yesterday she started this cute tongue thing where she would stick it out and make fun new sounds that sounded more like babbling than noise. So last night Dan and I were in the basement and she started doing it and making all these cute sounds and all of the sudden said "da-da." I didn't believe it for a second and Dan looked over at me and said, "did she really just say that?" Then miss g did it again! I grabbed the camera and sure enough, after reviewing the tape to make sure it wasn't "mama," the child said it again on tape. So unfair. It was really cute though, because Dan kept trying to make her say mama all night after that. It was a shock, but not the moment I had built up in my mind. I guess I thought her first word would be this magical moment filled with soft music in the background, birds chirping, and fairy dust sprinkled around (or something to that effect.) It was so matter of fact and over in a second. I think I am in denial that I have a child old enough to be sitting up on her own and in the (very) early stages of trying to talk. I have said it a million times, but where does the time go? I have heard that 6-12 months are some of the best times, and I believe it. She is changing everyday I think! I love you sweet girl!
Grace with ma-ma. Say it with me pumpkin, ma-ma!!

She is creeping, but not crawling.
(Great, now she will probably be crawling next week!)

We took this picture for aunt cheri! I love her personality. She is turning into such a ham. Must take after her daddy.


Grace with her da-da!

6 comments:

The Reeds said...

I love the shot with the sign. So hillarious!

kristen lewis said...

She is gifted indeed. Evyn is neither sitting nor speaking, but seems close to both! Wouldn't it be a hoot if their first words were something really elaborate? I do love that little girl! Kiss her for me.

Anonymous said...

these are my favorite pics!!! she is so pretch. love you!

Libby said...

I love how you thought her first words would have fairy dust sprinkled around...I laughed out loud...I hear ya...Hailey has been saying Dada for a while and won't, for the life of me, even think about saying Mama...oh well...one day. Cute pics and the one of the 3 of y'all is so great!! What a cutie you have:)

Karis said...

Miss Grace is such a precious little girl! I know Brash thinks the same of her! Grace- I hope you know that you have the greatest mom!!!

Mike and Emily said...

precious!Bella started saying that too! And, Ashley, you look hot!