Sunday, May 10, 2009

why are you standing by that dead tree?

Last mothers day when I was pregnant with Grace, Danny bought a crape myrtle and planted it outside the nursery window. It was one of the most thoughtful gifts anyone has ever given me and he wanted me to enjoy it when I looked outside and rocked our pumpkin. It bloomed beautifully and I used to love looking at it when I would go in her room. Notice I said "used to." That is because last fall Dan was using some weed killer in the back yard and when the great Lubbock winds blew, the poison got on the tree and killed it. My poor, beautiful, blooming tree died, but I refused to let Danny pull it up. It was too sentimental to me. Well this spring I didn't hold my breath, but I secretly hoped by some miracle that the tree would bud again so I could enjoy it with Grace. All of my secret hoping did no good, but I did notice a bit of green around the bottom of the tree a few weeks ago. Dan cut back some of the branches last week, and alas! We have some greenery. We have been watering and I think there is hope for the tree after all.

Dan and his dad planting the tree last year on mothers day. I wasn't allowed to help.

Here is my bump- almost 12 weeks

and here is my "bump" on the outside, one year later!


What an awesome mother's day. Friday afternoon my mom flew in to see Grace and hang out with us. And today after church we went to Tom and Beth's to eat; the boys grilled us steaks and even though we had to do the dishes, it was a great afternoon. Dan bought me a beautiful locket and two charms from Grace for my pandora. And Beth made a beautiful teapot for me with Grace's little handprint on the side. Precious!
I cried when I opened it thinking about all of the hand made gifts Grace is going to make me every year. I can't wait for macaroni necklaces and crayon drawings! I am one grateful and blessed mommy.

4 comments:

Alisa Palmer said...

That smile of hers in the pic of you both by the tree is to die for - excited to see that little munchkin on friday!

kristen lewis said...

What a truly thoughtful gift. You should definitely keep that Danny. And have I told you lately that Grace is just about the sweetest baby that I know? I am completely in love with her.

Karis said...

Danny you gave you the gift that will keep giving. No need for a new gift each year...right? What a great thing it will be for Grace thoughout the years!

TiffanyNorris said...

Grace makes the most adorable faces. I love her sweet grins! And you Mrs. Sinclair look amazing.