Sunday, November 9, 2008

My False Alarm

Well, I became a pregnant woman cliche today. I woke up at 5 this morning needing to go to the bathroom and thought I had wet the bed. I went to the bathroom and thought maybe my water broke but it wasn't like the big gush that fills your shoes like in the movies, so I made Dan come in there with me. The poor guy, I wake him up out of a deep sleep, and make him come in the bathroom and smell my underwear to make sure I hadn't just wet myself. I called the nurse and she said if I knew it wasn't urine, to head up to the hospital and have them check my fluids and make sure my water didn't break. I admit I got pretty excited, thinking that miss thing was coming early, and then I freaked out a bit. I took a shower, shaved my legs, washed my hair, put on my makeup (waterproof mascara!!) and had Dan load the car. We went up to the 4th floor at Covenant, got checked in, and they put me in triage and hooked me up to all these machines. How official!! The nurse checked me and said that the litmus test wasn't conclusive so she sent another test down to the lab to see if I was in fact leaking fluid. If it was fluid, she said we would have a baby today and if not, they would send me home. After 45 minutes of small talk with Dan and his parents, the nurse came back and said my membrane had not ruptured and she was sending me home. No stinkin way. I had already shaved my legs and washed my hair and everything. She said it could have been a number of things and if it happened again to come up there immediately because they don't joke around when it comes to fluid. So great. No baby yet, but my at least my legs are smooth and ready for my dr.'s appointment in the morning.

2 comments:

Alisa Palmer said...

no, the pregnant woman cliche isn't so much you having a false alarm as it is blogging about your fluids...think about it....


lol

Mike and Emily said...

way to go for having waterproof mascara. Smart emily did not do that. So, some of it came off through contractions, I reapplied it before I knew I was going to have to push, then it allllll came off once I started pushing and was laughing so hard from sheer joy and after they put Bella on my chest and I kept crying and laughing. I even told my doctor "I don't know why I reapplied" and we all kept laughing. Truly amazing experience I would do in a heartbeat...just with waterproof next time!