Wednesday, December 3, 2008

What I didn't know...


After only three weeks, I have come to realize how little I actually knew about being a mommy. All the things I didn't know are completely overwhelming and wonderful all at the same time. Things like how deep I love her after knowing her such a short time. What an amazing daddy Dan was from the beginning. That her smiles may only be gas, but they can melt my heart! How little I would get done everyday because all I want to do is stare at her and hold her. How hard it is to get out of bed at three every morning to feed her. How sad it is to watch her legs get too long for her newborn pj's. That keeping her on a schedule really does matter! How lonely it can get during the day when I'm home by myself. How long it takes to get her ready and get out of the house (and seriously, is she going to wait until I have changed her into a new outfit to explode in her diaper everytime?) The 5 "S's" really do work! (swaddle, side, swing, sshhhhh, and sucking- thank you Dr. Karp, last night was so much better!) That watching Danny love her would make me fall more in love with him. How hard it is to come up with conversation that doesn't revolve around her feedings, diaper changes, and sleep schedule. That the rest of the world moves on while your world stops and revolves solely around your baby.
I am not going to lie, being a mommy is the most difficult thing I have ever done. I have had two pretty big meltdowns (and I am sorry to Jenifer, as she has been visiting or called during both of them) but everyone was right, it is the most rewarding thing I have ever done. Here's to learning more...

3 comments:

Matt and Rebekah said...

NOW you know why we'll all do it more than once and why the firey hell of acid reflux during pregnancy is worth it. Also, if it's any consolation; all you hear about "motherly instinct" was started by a woman who wasn't willing to admit that it's trial and error and worth ever trial and every error. So glad you're loving it as much as I do!
Rebekah

kristen lewis said...

Good stuff, isn't it? For what it is worth, the second time around seems to me so much easier! Give that sweet girl a kiss for me.

Unknown said...

Oh Lady! What a precious little angel. I love your blog! And now you see what I mean about falling in love with your husband again when you see him holding your little baby girl? It STILL melts my heart to see Keaton and Chris together. I think it is probably the sweetest thing ever. Good stuff and just think..it is only the beginning. Congrats to you and Danny! We love and miss you all!
We can't wait to meet baby Grace. We watch the slide show EVERY DAY per Keaton's request. She has great commentary too!...Baby Sleeping, Baby tired, Baby smile, Baby Happy, Baby Long Hat, Baby Flower Hat, Baby has no clothes, and it goes on and on and on :)