Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Our first road trip

Danny and I took Grace to my mom's the weekend before Christmas. A six hour trip seemed a bit daunting with a 5 week old and only two days after my mastitis cleared up, but we decided to introduce Grace to her new family. She was absolutely amazing, with only one major blowout, one pee-pee fountain on daddy in the front seat, and one small temper tantrum right before we got to mom's house. Two really funny things happened on the way there. We stopped to eat at Subway in Sweetwater and Dan set Grace in the front seat to change her (this is when the pee-pee fountain occurred and she soaked the front seat and her daddy.) He set her back in the carseat and brought her in, we ate, and got back on the road. I was sitting in the back seat with her and I leaned up against the window to take a nap and when I woke up and looked over, I couldn't see Grace. Seriously. I was still half asleep and for a minute I thought Dan had somehow gotten her out of the carseat whilst continuing to do 70 down highway 20. All I could see was her blanket and when I reached over, completely freaked out mind you, I found her sunk down in the bottom of the carseat totally covered by the blanket. Yes, we win parents of the year award for forgetting to buckle our child back in the carseat. What's hilarious is that she didn't even whimper and just laid there sunk down in the seat.

Around Abilene she looked up at me with big eyes and exploded in her diaper. And then did it again, again, and again. We had to pull over on the side of the road to change her. It got all over her onesie, completely out the side and her back, and in her carseat. Of course the wind was blowing and it was freezing, but we decided to get out and dan would take off her diaper and just let it fall to the ground. Problem one solved. The next problem was getting her onesie off, which was covered in poo, over her head without getting it all over her. Somehow we got it off without getting it everywhere, but we still had to give her a wet wipe bath. Problem two sort-of solved. Then we had to figure out what to do with this massive diaper and the 50 wipes we used. I was determined not to be one of those people who leaves dirty diapers on the side of the road (or any public place for that matter), but I did not have my handy trash bags with me and there was no way Dan and I could stand the smell of it in the car with us. Add to this a screaming child and Dan made the decision to put it in a cup he found in the car and leave it on the side of the road. But instead of just placing by the car and driving off, he decided to throw it across the road and when he did the diaper and the 50 wipes went flying thru the air and all over the service road. We laughed so hard and then made a quick break for it.
All in all, it was not as bad as we anticipated, and on the drive home Grace slept the entire way with only one quick break for a bottle. She is such a good baby, even when her parents have no idea what they are doing!!

3 comments:

Valencias said...

I don't feel as bad now. I went to meet Mike down town one morning for an early lunch. When I went to get Scott out of the car seat I hadn't buckled him in! I was horrified and he was just sitting there smiling at me. Thank the Lord. You guys are doing so great and I am so happy for you.

Anonymous said...

this makes me laugh so hard!!! i can totally see dan throwing the dirty diaper on the road & totally cracks me up! hahahaha...i love you guys.

kristen lewis said...

We had a poop explosion in the car when Carter was tiny. I will never forget it!