Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Mom and Dad go on a date


Well, we did it. Last Monday, we left Grace with Nana and Papa and went to dinner. Alone. Sans bambino. Who knew that a two hour break would be so difficult? I cried when Beth took her and nearly changed my mind, but I was all dressed up and I knew Dan desperately needed a break. I know I did too, but watching her leave was a bit traumatizing. When we got in the car, I dried up my tears and vowed to spend the next two hours being the best wife I could be. Dan was so cute and said, "One rule. We have to at least make it past the appetizer before we talk about her. Okay, two rules. We have to at least get our meal before you get too emotional and we leave to go get her." I am proud to say not only did we make it past the appetizer, but all the way thru dinner, the check and back in the car before the name "Grace" even left our lips. I even suggested we go get coffee at Daybreak, which we did, and even though we ended up taking it to go, it was a successful evening and a much needed break.
One of the things Dan and I talked about was how easy it could be to let marriage take a back seat to kids and 18 years later wake up next to a roommate instead of the love of your life. How sad. We prayed for protection for our marriage and that our love for Grace would never exceed our love for one another. We think the next best gift to sharing Christ with her is living out the love God gave us for each other in our marriage in front of her everyday. I thank God for my baby girl and my amazing husband who loves us both more than we probably know.

1 comment:

Becky said...

I have learned that the priorities have to be:
1. Relationship with God
2. Relationship with Husband
3. then Kids

Because each one directly affects the relationship below it!

Love ya!
Becky