Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Not for the weak

Sunday morning about 5 I discovered I had mastitis. To spare those of you who aren't nursing mothers the gory details, it is an inflammation and infection of your milk ducts. Good times. Especially when the doctor tells you that the best cure for it is antibiotics and more frequent nursing on the infected side. What we didn't know, (we being Dan, my mother-in-law, and myself) is that you can run a very high fever while you have mastitis and feel like you have the flu. Refer to the aforementioned remedy to start feeling sorry for me if you don't already. Luckily Beth came over because I spent most of the day with a fever over 102, and alternated between nursing for an hour and an hour of sleep. Somewhere around 6 my fever hit 104.5 and I became delerious. Dan and Beth had to carry me to the bathtub where I proceeded to faint, roll my eyes in the back of my head, and then babble about Grace crying (which she wasn't) and needing to wrap my Christmas presents (which I do). I don't remember any of it, which was freaky, because I woke up and was eating a popsicle and Dan and Beth were crying and later told me they thought I might die. Just a typical Sunday at the Sinclair household.
Well I am feeling much better today and have come to believe that mastitis could be used as a means to put prisoners to death. You know, electric chair, lethal injection, death by thousands of needles shooting through your mammaries... let's think about it.
I will spare you any pictures, except for Nana rocking Grace. Sweet girl, she did so good even though mama was sick!

2 comments:

Mike and Emily said...

I had that at 3 weeks. And I agree with the torture prisoner thing. 3 hours of hard laor contractions is nuthin compared to that!! It's horrible!!! I called Mike's mom bawling and blubbering like a baby for help when my fever hit because I felt so bad. We sure have similar stories, which in a way is comforting knowing i'm not the only one. take care!!

The Nolands said...

Oh sweetie that stinks! In fact I woke up with all that just the week before and my sweet boy is 5 months. It was AWFUL!! Being on the other side I can say it gets better. I got to have a shot! I had never been more thankful in my life. Glad to hear you are better.