Saturday, June 11, 2011

Big sister


It is an incredible thing to watch your baby become a toddler. It is even more incredible to watch your baby not be the baby of the family anymore and see how grown up she has become.
Grace LOVES Audrey. LOVES her. I was worried about how she would react and handle the transition but I didn't give her enough credit. She has had a few moments of being "off" but I think it had more to do with being off her schedule and passed back and forth between grandparents. 
A few sweet things:
*Mimi taught her what everything was on the changing table so she would know what to bring me if I needed her help. She calls burp cloths "birthday clocks" and it makes my day every time she says it. "Oh mommy, here's you birthday clock for Audrey Cake."
*She likes to kiss Audrey on the mouth and not the head like we ask her to do. Thank goodness Audrey is the most laid back baby ever and doesn't seem bothered by two year old hands all over her.
*When we were in the hospital I asked Grace if she wanted to kiss Audrey and give her "sugars." Grace promptly went out in the hallway with Daddy and returned with two sugar packets from the cafeteria. "Here you go, mommy. Here's Audrey some sugars."
*The minute she gets home from PDO she wants to "tiptoe" and be "reeeaaalllll quiet" and go see Audrey.
*When Grace is watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and the hot dog dance comes on at the end, she likes to grab Audrey's hand and make her do the dance too.
*I thought it might cause some awkward questions if I nursed in front of Grace but she seems to be okay with the simple fact that Audrey gets her milk from mommy. Grace reminds me every time I'm nursing that she doesn't get her milk from mommy, she gets it from a cow. Moo.
*She calls her sweet girl, sweet Audrey, sweet baby, angel, and says "awwwwww" every time she sees her.
*If Audrey is crying she says, "Oh Audrey, you don't be so sad. You okay sweet baby?"
*Grace has a hard time understanding why Audrey can't sleep in her big girl bed with her, why she doesn't want to sit in her chair and watch Toy Story, and why she doesn't want to eat bites of spaghetti.
*In the mornings she comes in to our room and asks me how I'm feeling and if my band-aid on my belly is still hurting. 

2 comments:

Mike and Emily said...

what a little sweetie! I love these pictures. I especially love the one of Grace kissing her in your lap. So sweet!

Anonymous said...

precious! love those two sisters. and i love that we both have two girls!