Saturday, January 30, 2010

Surely

Surely other moms...

Slip under the covers at night and find a defrosted teething ring and wet rag between the sheets?

Have said the sentence: "Grace, please quit pulling mommy's panties off the racks. Now I have to pick them up!"

Forget to label their child's diapers for PDO, even though the teacher pulls out a sharpie and begins labeling them while the mother is in plain sight... sigh.

Let their child dump out the entire box of monthly accessories under the sink if it keeps them occupied while they take a shower because they slept too late to take a shower while their child was still asleep.

Catch themselves asking, "where did the time go?" every other day.

Worry about cell phone radiation poisoning but let their child chew on an old cell phone just for funsies?

Have a love/hate relationship with Sesame Street.

Feel so full of love and pride when they look at their child that they think their heart may actually burst? (These feelings usually follow a good night's sleep and/or a positive nap experience on the part of the child, or trips to the grocery store when the child acts like a halo has sprouted from the top of their head).

Contemplate whether or not they weaned too early and secretly miss it at night when they put their baby to bed (but then posts it on a blog, making it entirely not a secret)

Stop two blocks from their house and get out of the car to check and make sure they buckled their child in the carseat. Because maybe one time, they might have forgotten.

Open drawers in their kitchen and find a dirty sock, a baby Einstein book, four spoons, a scentsy candle package, five goldfish crackers, two teddy grahams, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Hum the theme song to "Elmo's World" while they pick up toys. Six times a day.

Have spent more on their child's shoe collection than they have their own in the last year.

Think to themselves, "Oh heavens, I have officially become my mother," but then smile, because maybe that's not such a bad thing.

Think their child is the cutest thing walking.

7 comments:

Fortner Family said...

I totally agree! Other children are cute but mine is ADORABLE!! (and so is yours :)) And the shoe think< I can't tell you the last time I bought shoes for myself and I LOVE shoes but she is so much more fun to shop for! Fun post!

Erin said...

OMG Ashley! I can't tell you how much I related to this post! It's such a wonderful / comical / magical ride, this whole "parent thing"! Ha ha.

Thanks so much for sharing so much of yourself and for keeping such a great record of events for Grace! Look forward to reading more!
~Erin Martin

Vicki said...

LOVE it, and surely you are right! My favorite so far is opening my makeup drawer to rubber lizards....sort of eye opening first thing in the morning....and I have a GIRL! ;o)

Isn't it great being a mom?!

Janae Igo said...

Great post! I loved it and it is all so so so so so true!

Melissa said...

Yes! Except for maybe the panties thing...;-)

Organized Chaos said...

My love/hate relationship was with Caillou. He was SUCH a whiner (we always called him "Cry-you"), but MAN could he mesmerize the under four crowd....

Mike and Emily said...

Ashley, I talked about you on my new blog. I hope that's ok to link to one of your blog posts. It was so well said so I didn't want to say it all again! I would have just copy/pasted but, alas, that would be plagarism. =) If it's not ok, i'll take it off.