Tuesday, January 5, 2010

"full-time" mom

I had a frustrating conversation with a fellow mother/customer recently and figured this blog is as good a platform as any to stand up on my soapbox.
This particular mom and I met when I was pregnant with Grace and we spent nearly an hour talking about how exciting/difficult/scary/fun/wonderful life was about to be. She quit her job as a teacher to stay at home full time with her two girls and at the time, I planned on doing almost the same thing- working as little as possible to be at home with Grace.
I ran into her again and we started talking about motherhood, extended breastfeeding, weaning, cloth diapers; you know, typical lingerie store conversation. She then proceeded to get on my nerves and dance all over them when she started making a fake sad face and telling me how sorry she was that I had to work and couldn't be a "full-time" mom. What I was missing out on, and how she could never do it, but she thought all of us working moms were just so brave. The Lord graciously stopped me before I said "Oh gag me with a wooden spoon," and our conversation ended shortly after that with me feeling the need to defend my 20 hour work weeks and all the quality time I spend with Grace.
Following that story this is going to be difficult to admit, but it's confession time: I used to be quite judgemental about moms who worked full time and took their kids to daycare. Lest ye judge my former judgemental attitude and throw me in the same boat with crazy mom from the second paragraph, I would like a moment to explain myself.
One of the reasons we waited so long to have a baby was because of my store. I was too busy building it up, working long hours for no paycheck, and couldn't imagine adding a baby on top of an already too busy work schedule. And I would not, under any circumstances, allow someone else to raise my child. So we waited until the store was at a point that I could step away for a bit and not live there.
For the first two months of her life, I seriously considered closing the store. Financially, 2008 was a rough year, but even more than that, all I wanted to do was sit and stare at my baby girl. We would figure out how to live on just Dan's salary; I would clip coupons, sell pant-aloons on ebay, learn how to bargain shop... anything to stay with her and be a full time mom. I remember thinking, "This is what I was meant to do. I was meant to stay at home all day staring at this beautiful creature."
As time would soon tell, being a mom was every bit the full time job I thought it would be. But dare I say it... I wasn't completely fulfilled as a woman/human/contributing member of society staying at home all day every day with Grace. My views quickly began to change as I realized that I needed to work, needed something else to do with my time, and needed a break from my sweet girl. I remember last February when I started working more and feeling guilty that I actually enjoyed it. Surely a super mom would spend her days away from her baby lamenting her job and the fact that she was at work and not at home working on tummy time and making home made organic baby food.
I have so many wonderful friends who have a wide range of part-time and full-time jobs, outside of being a full-time mom and they have all contributed to my new (non-judgemental) outlook on working moms.
My friend Kristen is an awesome counselor. She loves nearly everything about her job, her boss, the kids, her fellow teachers. I have never met someone so incredibly passionate about being a light to everyone who steps in her path. Her kids stay with her mom some days, go to daycare others, and spend Fridays with Dad. I remember her telling me one time that it bothered her when her stay at home mom friends pittied her that she "had to go to work." She chooses to work. And she also chooses to be one of the most amazing mothers I know. She is the definition of balance. She spends all day every day of her summer breaks with those two beautiful kiddos and soaks in every moment she has with them.
I have another friend who stays at home with her two boys and admitted to me just this week that she wishes she could put them in PDO even one day a week. She used to think it was selfish for stay at home moms to put their kids in PDO because they needed a "break." She has since changed her mind and is realizing she is no less a mom if she doesn't L-O-V-E every second of staying home with her boys.
My friend Kayci texted me tonight about how she feels like a failure and my heart just broke. She has to work to help support her family and twin boys and feels guilty for putting them in PDO and daycare next year.
Why do we do this to ourselves? Being a mom is a difficult enough job by itself, without all of the guilt trips we seem to pick up daily and pile on top.
The truth is, we can't have it all as moms, and in a years time, I have come to realize that the grass only seems greener on the other side. While that may not ease our guilt ridden minds and we may continue to wish for greener pastures (or fences? my metaphors are all confused...) I think we would do well to give ourselves a break from the guilt and comparisons.
What works for you may not work for me. What works for me certainly may not work for you. So let's drop the facade that as moms we have to have our, ahem, stuff together all the time. Let's support each other in whatever decision we have made that we think is best for our family (and quite possibly, our sanity). Let's take the time we do have with our children, be it all day, or a few hours a day, and squeeze every ounce of love and good parenting we can out of every moment. That, to me, is what being a "full-time" mom is all about.

15 comments:

TiffanyNorris said...

Can I get an amen?!? Seriously, very well stated. I agree completely that everyone has their own version if what "works" and at the end of the day if you have a baby, a toddler or child... Or dare I say husband (kidding) you are a full time mom. Maggie may not be in my arms while at PDO but she never leaves my thoughts. Some of us need the "me time" in order to be sane, functioning, even better mommas. I think it goes back to that awful competitive nature so many of us suffer from. We want to be the best mom and therefore think that our way must be the best way. It comes from good intentions but gets twisted in our insecurities. There's a constant internal battle in me not to feel the need to explain to a complete stranger why I'm working 12 hours a week and not home with my daughter. Thanks as always for saying what we're all (I assume) feeling!

Jennifer-Colley said...

Wow!!! Exactly what I needed to hear tonight! I go back to work tomorrow after having 11 weeks off where I doent everyday all day with Crew and Cam (except when he went to pdo). I was just telling God right before I read this to give me assurance that it is ok to work! I was stRting to through a pity party for myself and felt like guilty for having to work instead of being at home! The Lord answered my prayer almost immediately through your post! Thanks for sharing your heart with us!!!

kristen lewis said...

God has really worked on my heart about being fully present wherever He has me at the moment- be the best counselor I can be without lamenting being at work while I am at work, and be the best wife and mom I can be without bringing work emotionally home with me while I am at home. I really strive to be an "intentional" mom, and I am blessed to have the best of both worlds. So go sell your panties guilt free! You are precious, my friend.

Libby said...

What a great post! I'm not going to lie, I look forward to Tuesdays and Thursdays b/c Grace goes to preschool....don't get me wrong, I LOVE being with my kid, but sometimes I need a break...I have had many moments of "Oh my goodness, I need to send my kids to daycare and go get a job or I'm going to lose it!" And then I realize how broke we'd be b/c probably the only job I'd be able to get is at Starbucks and goodness knows that's not going to pay daycare:) I think that it's healthy for Moms to have a little break from their kids...like you said, though, it's whatever works for everyone individually. Shame on me (and any other stay-at-home mom) if I ever make a working Mom feel guilty. I hope that you don't be made to feel like that again...working or not working is not going to show how much you love your kids. It's pretty clear by your blog that you adore Grace...I'm thinking that's all that matters:)

The Minz said...

I needed to hear all of that! Thanks so much for sharing. Im preparing to go on maternity leave and am heartbroken I have to come back because we cant afford for me not to work. To compensate, Im trying to focus on how much I really do love my job so its easier to come back. At the same time I feel guilty for not letting myself stay heartbroken because "its just not right for me to work" according to society. I admire you for loving your job and trying to keep working at it! Thanks for sharing Ashley!

Anonymous said...

oh ashley, this is seriously the best post i've read in a long time...thank you for your words & your honesty. i couldn't agree more!!! you are an awesome mom, business-owner, and friend. i love you!

Vicki said...

Another big AMEN from me Ashley. I hate labels first off....of any sort...I have always been labeled due to looks, and now I am labeled as an at home mom, yet I feel like defending that I work from home...why is that?! You hit the nail on the head when you said what is right for you is not right for everyone....I am finding that more and more true every single day. Here I am beating up myself over being offered a really nice job and actually CONSIDERING taking it....why is that?! Could be partially because my other 'at home' mom's are already giving me guilt trips about 'not wanting to be with my child' it's all a load of crap.
Okay, okay I am rambling....working outside the home in no way makes a child feel less loved. And if working outside the home can give the parents a better balance then they tend to be better parents when they ARE home.
I just wish Mom's would support other moms because it is NOT an easy job any way you do it....you are an awesome mom and in no way is Grace being hurt by you working! Keep speaking the truth and now that I support you....whether you are at your store or at home eating bon bons. ;o)

Mike and Emily said...

i second this completely! I wish all moms would just respect others moms regardless of their choice. It's my choice to work fulltime and I absolutely LOVE it! I think i'm a better mom and wife because I work and i'm a better employee/manager because i'm a mom. I truly believe that - handsdown. I think it's about what fulfills you. I had a great mentor who is a PhD researcher with 2 kids under 18 months (yeah, not on purpose) who gave me the best advice. WHen i'm at work, i'm at work. When i'm home, i'm at home. Other than that, my love for Bella is the same regardless of where i'm at and I think better because of working. Great post!

Ami said...

hi ashley. i saw your comment on vicki's page and decided to check your blog out. lol. hope that's alright. i couldn't agree with this blog more. i have been labeled and judged on both sides of that fence you're talking about. i have always said, my children know i love them, and they don't need me labeled as a stay at home mom to prove it. my children are surrounded by love, and those that have helped me care for them so i could support them have become life-long friends. thank you so much for saying what has needed to be said for a long time!

Fortner Family said...

Great post! I am a stay at home mom but have many friends that are moms and work. Why can't we just all encourage each other in being a mom. There are days I miss work and adult conversation...does that make be a bad mom?? Heck no! Just a people person :) Thanks for being so honest and your a GREAT mommy!

Alisa Palmer said...

I have no idea what you moms are going through but I was right along with you wanting to slap that lady as she told you how sorry she was for you. Ugg. My mom started back to work when I was in kindergarten and honestly, I have very little memory of her before I was 5. All my memories come after - laughing till our faces hurt over some tv show, going on shopping trips together, crying to her about the injustice of grade school/high school/college. She was/is the hardest working mom I know and I think I learned 100x more from her because of it.

jarcarhar said...

Holla! (how's that for profound?!)

jeannie said...

I could not agree more! I have a cousin that works full time and another that is a sahm. It's actually reversed with them. The working mom says negative things about the sahm like how she doesn't do anything all day and doesn't really work. It goes both ways. Being a mom is a calling from our Lord. As is a profession. I say, seek His will in your life and nothing or no one else matters!

Amanda said...

Poor dear woman. I think she meant to say "stay at home mom." We too have waited almost 4 years to have a child because we firmly believe in my staying home with the children. Don't know how this will be possible but God will show us when it is time. I have learned the hard way not to criticize someone's calling. I also need to avoid envying someone else's timing. We go to a young church many young families. Most of the other moms who constantly ask me when I will have "one of my own" are at least 5 years younger than me.
So amen to working part time and being a full-time Mom. It's the old adage,"A man's work is from sun to sun and a woman's work is never done." Congratulations again, Ashley.

Brandon and April said...

woot! woot! :)
sooo....yeah as as "full-time-stay-at-home-mom" I very admittedly have those days that I wish I had a job...even if it was sweeping floors at a grocery store. Those days where being poo-ed on, peed one, and forced to endure crying children who should be sleeping...those are the days when I think even the "worst" of jobs could be better than this. I'm one of those people that tend to have a very skewed idea of why moms work when they have kiddos, so I needed to hear this from another perspective! I hereby do promise to be less judge Judy on working mommies.