Sunday, November 15, 2009

Walking and a One Year Update

Twelve months is easier for me to handle. It doesn't sound so, old. So let me begin again.

Walking and a twelve month update.
That's much better.

Grace is officially one (er, twelve months) and I was about to give you the usual updates, but she officially started moving and grooving tonight, so that takes precedence! She has taken a few steps over the past three weeks, but seemed to lose interest in walking until she got a push toy for her birthday. Heavens to Betsey, that child can circle the room in under 30 seconds! Last night she took two consecutive steps before falling three different times, and tonight she took six steps, twice. Danny and I couldn't believe it and I cried for a minute. When did she get old enough to walk? (Oh wait, last week, when she turned twelve months). I am loving it tonight, but I hear things are really about to get fun.





Miss G cut her third tooth this week, and by my calculations, has the other three top ones just waiting to cut thru at any time.

Danny thinks Grace somehow picked up French by mistake, because the only English words she knows are mama, dada, nana, papa, and sometimes she will say something that sounds a lot like duck. Everything else she says sounds exactly like French to us (say them out loud with a lilting inflection and you will get an idea of what we hear on a daily basis. And add a question mark at the end. Kind of like Canadians, "Eh?" Come on. It will be fun).
Bwee? Bweh? Do-uy? Wee? Wee Wee?
Yes, not only is she adorable, but she is mastering her first foreign language. We couldn't be more proud.

She has quite the personality and flair for the dramatic. I have met a lot of babies that are cute, some that are serious, some that are content, but a few that are really funny. And that know it. Grace is that way. She knows what makes us laugh, does it, and then waits for us to laugh. It is hilarious. I cannot describe her funny smiling face she does, but if you have seen it, you know what I'm talking about. It kind of looks like this.

She will keep doing it until you laugh at her (you should see her at United with the sackers, she is relentless) and if you don't she will look away and find someone else who will laugh at her.
She is also quite dramatic and will let you know very quickly when she isn't happy. Which isn't often, but when she is, forget it. Just duck and run for cover until she decides to get happy again.

We are going thru the Love and Logic parenting study at church and having a blast applying the foundations on our unsuspecting one year (ahem) twelve month old. The study is all about giving "control" to your child by giving them choices; i.e., "Would you like juice or milk? Would you like to carry your coat or wear it? etc... The other day I heard Danny say on the monitor, "Grace you can either cry when I change your diaper or not cry when I change your diaper. Your choice." Too funny. Whenever I listen to the other couples in class, almost all of whom have toddlers or older children, I think to myself, "I signed up for babies. Not parenting," and then proceed to break out in a cold sweat thinking about her toddler and teenage years. Stepping stones, right?

We went to the Dr. on Thursday for her shots and checkup. She ran a little fever and took a three and a half hour nap but was acting her usual self by Friday morning. She is still off the charts for height(30.5 inches, 97th percentile) but only gained 1 ounce in three months. She weighed 18.14 and while I had a suspicion she hadn't put on much weight, I was a little surprised at her being in the 10th percentile. Her Dr. told me not to worry (which I did anyway), and said that because Grace is still nursing and not very interested in solids when she is with me, she is not going to put on much weight. So I left with a list of foods to give her and this weekend we have been in Operation: Fatten Gracie Up mode. I think it is hard not to worry. I have heard that most babies triple their birth weight by the time they are one, which would have put us around 21.5 pounds, so for her to be three pounds shy makes me wonder if I am doing something wrong. But to be honest, with the amount of food we bought her Thursday night, I would guess she is going to more than triple her birth weight in the next week. Besides, tall and skinny never hurt any woman.

We are having an absolute blast and are actually quite ready to do this mama and dada thing again soon. If the next one is anything like the first, we will be in for a treat!

5 comments:

The Minz said...

Does your last sentence mean that we are trying again? Maybe none of my business... but that would be SO COOL!

Vicki said...

There is nothing wrong with Miss Grace. Some kids get chunky, some do not....she is precious and as long as the doc isn't worried TRY not to!! My neighbor's son is still tiny, never had any rolls or pudge....and Brooke had rolls until she started walking, so you never know! She is precious!

Loren said...

I can't believe she is walking! Didn't you just have her yesterday? She's adorable!!

Mike and Emily said...

I LOVE those faces! You can tell she's really concentrating on walking. And, her little smile is so sweet - she's just beautiful Ashley. Our Bella is getting a little attitude! So, it's good to know she's not the only dramatic kiddo out there. We know what you mean about wanting another one...hmm, maybe around the corner for us both!

The Reeds said...

I use love and logic in the classroom.. as in: you can type your 3 page essay or you can hand write it. (ha!) Then they're THRILLED to be "typing" their 3 page essays... Ha ha! I win!

I have teh parenting book and plan on going through it.. just to add more bang to my teaching maneuvers.

Think Missionary style- when you have your baby overseas no one tells you what percentile they are- they're just perfect and each unique!! All our friends who bring they're baby back over get stressed here because it's all: she's not tall enough, heavy enough, her head circumfrence is too big...

I'm sure she's perfect and unique!