Tuesday, September 1, 2009

first day of pdo and some updates


Well Grace and I both survived her first day of parents day out at Calvary. If I do say so myself, I did swimmingly. Grace on the other hand, had a bit of a rough time. When I picked her up and asked how she did, the teacher said, "ummmm, well..." Not a good sign. She did not nap (but can you really blame the gal? A well lit, baby-stocked room in a new pack-n-play? Not exactly prime napping conditions) and did not take any of her bottle. So the poor girl ate at 9:15 and not again until 3 when I got her home. She ate her fruit well, but they kept having to distract her and sneak the spoon in her mouth. Clearly, they are not readers of this blog, or they would know that G doesn't eat baby food unless baby einstein is on. Apparrently, another teacher had to walk around with her so she didn't get the other babies upset.
Great.
Now I'm going to be that mom, with that baby, who the teachers see coming and inwardly groan. I don't know why I am so bothered by this news. I have a wonderful baby, a happy baby, cheerful even, so it bothers me they didn't see that side of her. Isn't it interesting how I am already feeling that pressure. I'm sure you've felt it too. The weird, feeling that your children's (babies) actions are a reflection of how you are raising them. And she is only nine months old! Lord teach me to shake off this feeling. It is far too early to be worried about such things!

On to more exciting news:
Grace cut her second bottom tooth yesterday morning! Good thing, because we were up from 3:45-6, and I would hate it to be all for naught. And Sunday, she officially clapped for the first time. (We may be a bit behind in this milestone, but humor me). She has done her own cute "clapping thing" for awhile now, but Sunday evening she put her hands together and copied Dan and I while we clapped. It was too cute.
She has also figured out how to pick up little pieces of food and feed herself. I didn't think about it until we went to her checkup but the Dr. said something about Grace picking up her food and I realized she doesn't do that! I really only feed her baby food with a spoon; she doesn't eat a lot of other snacks or foods and if she does, I have been bad about feeding her. But no more! I was informed she needed to develop those fine motor skills and I was not doing anything to help it. Needless to say, we worked on said motor skills all weekend and by Sunday morning, she was picking up her banana puffs and stuffing them in her mouth. She hits the mark about 6 out of 10 times, and a 60% average is okay by me right now.

7 comments:

Vicki said...

It's not just you Ashley. From what I hear ALL moms go through that wonder....and worry....a part of motherhood I was not prepared for.

Brooke did great on her first day of preschool, but on the second day the teacher pulled me aside to let me know 'we're having trouble listening' so, yes I am having the same thoughts and worries, just a few years down the road.

Grace will get it soon! It sounds like she did well for the first time ever!

Kristen said...

Just a little note of encouragement. Hunter did not like baby food so much but when he started feeding himself big boy food like we ate, he couldn't get enough! It's a wonder he's as little as he is considering how much he eats.

School will get easier once she gets into the routine. I'm pretty sure all moms worry about how others see their children. They are such blessings to us that we want them to be blessings to others.

kristen lewis said...

Give her a week and she will find her PDO groove. My kids are ALWAYS the hard kids initially. At least she is super adorable!

Coby said...

I am totally with you! We need to visit! Camren got "content" on his daily report card the first day and the next 2 days got FUSSY! For a year now no one has EVER told me my child was fussy! They have always asked me if he ever even cries! I am so not used to this! And besides that he is used to taking a morning nap and afternoon so he is tired around 10 am. I am praying that I will shake this off too!!! We have great babies and they are just going to have to get used to a TOTALLY new environment! I am hoping for a good report today!!!! love ya girl!

Coby said...

Didnt know Coby was signed in! That was written by me ( jen ) ! lol

Mike and Emily said...

Uh, yes. So this post resonated with me since I had the same thoughts/feelings/fears. I think that's why I appreciate your blog (among other things) is the honesty and knowing i'm not the only one. =)

Kacee said...

Hi Ashley! You don't know me but I went to school with Danny and I found your blog through another friend. I hope you don't mind me posting but I just did not want you to feel alone about Grace having a difficult time the first day of PDO.

My son, Becton, started PDO and he is having the same EXACT problems. I sent him to the mini summer session this summer and I was called everyday around noon because he was unhappy...and he is always such a happy baby. I was a wreck every time I dropped him off b/c I was worried they were going to call me to come and pick him up. I felt like I was "that mom" with "that baby".

He started PDO back this week and he having a difficult time again. Like Jennifer said about Camren, he is use to taking two naps a day and he is picky when it comes to eating too. I know with my daughter it just took a little bit of time to adjust and then she loved it. I hope that this will be true for Miss Grace and Becton.

Hang in there...please don't feel like anyone looks at you or Grace in a bad light. I think a lot of chidlren have a difficult time but no one talks about it or teacher's don't share that most of the babies were having a hard time....not just yours.

Hope things get better this week,
Kacee Hogg