Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Today


My promises for today...

Today I will not yell "Grace, please quit screaming!"

Today I will not get upset when you grab the phone from me and scream, "mamamama!" into the ear of a very important vendor and then proceed to hang up on them. I will remember how long I waited to hear those words and laugh at your funny personality.

Today when I do the "Gracie dance" and bounce in front of the mirror with you, I will not think about how badly said mirror needs to be cleaned.

Today when someone tells me how beautiful you are, I will say "thank you," and not "I know, right?"

Today I will watch you as you soak in God's world and follow your example to be amazed by the little things.

Today when I nurse you, I will not think about all the other things I have to do. I will revel in this special but very short season we get to spend together.

Today I will spend more time praying for you instead of worrying about you catching the swine flu.

Today I will not cry when I put away your 9 month clothes because you are too long for them. I will be comforted in knowing that God created you to grow and you are growing heathily and beautifully.

Today I am going to tickle you and listen to you laugh, because your laughter reminds me of God's goodness.

Today I will sit on the floor and watch baby einstein with you, because I know you enjoy it. And I will not check my email while it is on. Scout's honor.

Today I will not forget to buckle the second harness on your car seat. yikes.

Today I will run, because I want to model a healthy lifestyle for you.

Today I will give you a reprieve from a huge minnie mouse bow atop your head. But I won't like it.

Today I will soak in every moment with you and feel blessed beyond all comprehension that God made me your mommmy.

Today I will enjoy today, because it will be gone tomorrow.

12 comments:

TiffanyNorris said...

Love this and thank you for such a great reminder to slow down.

jordan said...

such a sweet reminder to enjoy my kids and this crazy stage of life today...and to go running. :)

Brigitte said...

Thanks for the reminder, Ashley. Truly the baby stage goes by way too quickly. I know you are a great momma!!

Vicki said...

Thank you very much for this reminder. I needed it! My 'baby' is already in preschool, so I need to enjoy her while at home!

jarcarhar said...

Well, now I'm all teary-eyed. Thank you for sharing these promises...I needed them today.

Libby said...

That made me tear up a bit...what a great post, thank you for reminding me of the little things that are so important...hope you and your sweet Grace have a great day!!

Mike and Emily said...

Phew, well that made me ALL teary! Great post Ashley. I was actually thinking about the same things today and how I needed to just "sit" sometimes instead of doing house-stuff or work-stuff. Thanks again for the honesty. Sometimes the balance is ok...other times I need to be reminded.

Mike and Emily said...

Phew, well that made me ALL teary! Great post Ashley. I was actually thinking about the same things today and how I needed to just "sit" sometimes instead of doing house-stuff or work-stuff. Thanks again for the honesty. Sometimes the balance is ok...other times I need to be reminded.

Anonymous said...

beautiful post & a beautiful writer. i love you dear friend!

kristen lewis said...

So true. What a lucky little girl you have. And for the record, I applaud your dedication if you actually watched Baby Einstein- it makes me cringe! Love you.

Rachel said...

I don't have children yet, but this still spoke to me. Thanks for sharing your thoughtful words.

Anonymous said...

Man! I wish I wrote that! Perfectly said. What a needed reminder.