Monday, July 27, 2009

something had to be done...

this post has a two-fold meaning:

the first has to do with this picture:

I went into Grace's room this morning and found her sitting up and trying to pull up in her crib. as cute as she was, it scared me to death (but I wasn't so scared that I couldn't run in the other room and grab the camera!) remember the episode in june where she fell off the bed? I am not about to have a repeat! so tonight dan pulled apart the crib and lowered the bed. it was no simple feat, but it was accomplished before miss priss had a complete meltdown.


the second has to do with this picture:

see me to the right? no, you really can't, because I cropped myself out. I hate my legs and my new mommy figure and since I refuse to crop myself out of pictures anymore, I put these on

(well, not these shoes exactly) and started the couch to 5k program. my rockstar husband had the awesome idea to come home and run with me at lunch instead of running on the treadmill at the gym, and I knew it was the perfect reason to start. he has no problem with motivation (mr. four times a week at bodyworks) and I am grateful he is helping me get started. I have been making excuse after excuse for the last three months and decided that today it was time to put my feet on the pavement and get going. so we did, with grace in tow, and I survived!
so to all my running mamas out there (georgia, micah, emily, jordan, traci, allison) I need help staying motivated! I am the best starter and the worst at following through with things, so keep giving me reasons why I love to run!

17 comments:

Unknown said...

No mom here...but I've started running too. Started last week. You can do it!!!!!

The Reeds said...

Awesome!!
A goal is what we need! How about the Susan G. Komen 5k this fall (September I think?). Great cause too... If you do it I will be there and do it too! it will keep me on schedule!!!!

(Is that nine weeks??? Almost!!)

Melissa said...

I feel exactly the same way. I am dying to do something, but how do you run with ginormous nursing boobs?! 3 sports bras? So proud of you and jealous, too. :)

Jennifer-Colley said...

I will join you in November after baby # 2 is here!! I have heard awesome things about couch to 5K. Let me know what you think about it! I need to prove to myself I can do something I hate!!!

Vicki said...

Great job on getting started Ashley! For starters just think of how you will feel in a couple of weeks when you put that swimsuit back on....motivated yet?! Keep up the good work!

Sarah said...

I understand how you feel. I've started back on the treadmill this week. I haven't been as motivated as I wanted to be, but I'll get there. For the record, though, I thought you looked great when I saw you a couple of weeks ago.

Matt and Rebekah said...

At the risk of being completely vulnerable...I also started "running" this week. Actually, I call it wogging or jalking. LOL For now it's a combo of walking and jogging. So,maybe now that I've posted my efforts, I'll stick to it. BTW, consider yourself fortunate for the lunch time jog because 5:45 and 6:00 am come REAL early when you've got a teething 4 month old who doesn't sleep as well as she used to. But, enough with the excuses.

The Cox Family said...

Hey Ashley! Just wanted to encourage you along the way. I just started a Boot Camp last week, it's intense, super hard, but I love it. Always make time for yourself. I'm blogging about it on my site so if you need some encouragement or some empathy, check it out!

Fortner Family said...

Hi Ashley. Don't know if you remember me but I found your blog through the Louder's. I too just started this running thing and you will do great!!

Mike and Emily said...

woohoo!! yay for running. we can be running accountability partners...watch out though, you could become addicted. And your precious Grace playing on the floor while her daddy puts together her bed. I can just see her little thoughts trying to figure out what she can get into when noones watching. super cute!

miker said...

YEAH, Ashley! You can do it! I try to remind myself that I'm a better mommy when I make the time for a workout. I feel better physically and mentally. I agree with George - set a goal, you won't be able to procrastinate if you have a date set for a long run.

Anonymous said...

You will be my inspiration to start. I'm the same way...hard to start it up again.

Anonymous said...

so proud of you! my advice: register for a 5k as soon as possible. if i have a race on the calendar, i tend to stay more motivated! second piece of advice: treat yourself to some cute running clothes, nice socks, and good shoes. 2 things i couldn't live w/out are my garmin running watch & my ipod shuffle. oh, and you should know - it is very addicting, so beware. :) love you much!

The Barnes Bunch said...

I started working out early in the mornings a few months ago and I feel so much better. You will be so glad you are doing this even though it is hard at the beginning. Good luck!

The McDons said...

Good for you! I need motivation too!

dreamingBIGdreams said...

I found your blog through Traci. Her husband and my husband are cousins. :)

Anyhow I too just started the couch to 5K plan and have a 5K to run on Sept 12. :)

What's hardest for me is pushing my two boys in the stroller. That is killing me! I guess it will make me stronger though!

One thing that helps me out lots is to register for a run. Once it's on the calendar I will train much better. In 2007 I ran 2 half marathons, 2 5K and a 10K. Good year for me. The thing that kept me goign was that the workouts were on my schedule. I knew what I had to do.

That's what works for me. I hope it works for me this time. :) actually i have all the workouts on my calendar already now i just need to register for that race. That'll keep me moving!

Good luck to you!

:)Jamie

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!!! I am so proud of you!!! You are going to feel so much better!!! Way to go!! When is the race?