Tuesday, July 14, 2009



Good gravy, Grace is eight months old. It's time for the monthly barrage of pictures and updates!
No crawling yet, but she is definitely trying. She crawls backwards, scoots, and will even get on all fours, but it is mostly a no go. When she is on all fours she will reach out and stretch as far as she can to grab something and then face plant into the ground. I have a hard time deciding when to pick her up and console her rug burned face and when to teach her to keep trying. Does an eight month old really pick up on those kind of life lessons?
Still no teeth, but no complaints from this nursing mama. I'm not ready to have blood drawn when I feed her anyway. I really had no idea teething would be this long of a process but I went back and read and the teething symptoms have been dragging on for FOUR months! We bought stock in infant tylenol and teething tablets and are trucking along until one of those little daggers decides to make its debut.
She pulled up for the first time on Thursday morning. Right before I left for work she was pulling all over my leg and shirt and she grabbed my collar and yanked herself up. She was so proud of herself. She is getting close to pulling up on her crib and our chair, but hasn't done it yet. Knowing her timetable, she will start walking, crawling, pulling up on everything and talking on the same day.
The summer has been wonderful so far. I have had a few rough weeks where I have to work waaayyyy more than I would like, but they even out with weeks like this one where I might work 15 hours. I am having a harder time taking Grace with me to the store. She is in "hold me, hold me, don't walk out of the room or I will cry" mode, and with her dropping a long nap a day, there is only so much I can do with her while we are there. Gone are the days of laying her in her pack and play for two hours and then her playing quietly in her bumbo seat while I work!
She is into EVERYTHING and wants to eat everything, which poses a problem at the grocery store and restaurants. She especially loves remotes and cell phones and even called me tonight when she was with Dan. We call her squirmy worm because the child will not sit still. Even when she is eating at night her hands and feet are constantly going.
She is eating pretty much every fruit and vegetable we can find that's organic. Pears, applesauce, bananas, peaches, carrots, sweet potatoes... The two things she hates so far are green beans and apple juice. Weird. But she loves her water and sippy cup. She grabs it with one hand and will tilt her head back and chug it like a German beer guzzler. Then she will slam the cup down all out of breath with water running down her chin. Too funny. She also loves to "drink" water out of my straws. She gets so excited and starts squealing right before I put the straw to her mouth.
As you can tell from the pictures, she is a little comedian. It is amazing to watch her personality develop and see both Dan and me in her. My favorite times are laughing with her in the mornings. The sillier I act, the louder she laughs, and I love it!


I love this somber stare. We don't get it often.

Fourth on Broadway. She would not take a nap all morning and was driving me crazy. The minute I got on stage to sing and hit my first note, she turned her head to the side and slept the rest of the set! Too funny.

7 comments:

Chris and Carolee said...

Grace is so adorable. I wish our little girls could get together and play I think our little bow heads would be too cute together. Caroline did not get her first tooth until 11 months and we still only have two. In fact it be came a running joke in our house that every time she fussed she was teething becasue we kept thinking it was going happen sooner than it did.

Anonymous said...

does grace like to put 12 lemons in her water prior to chugging it? :) i miss that lil punkin.

Brigitte said...

She's so photogenic, just like her momma! Glad to get an update on your sweet girl. 8 months is a fun age!

Jennifer-Colley said...

oh just wait until she starts crawling then you really cant take your eyes off them! He wants everything and wants to pull up on EVERYTHING especially me! This is a fun stage, but definitley keeps you the busiest! she is a doll! Lets make a playdate! Those come in handy when they are on the go! lol

Libby said...

I seriously laughed out loud when you compared her to a beer guzzler...you absolutely crack me up! Because I don't say this every time I post...what an adorable kid you have!!

jordan said...

she is such a doll ashley!

Mike and Emily said...

She is so sweet!!! I wish I could hug her!!!